Please refer to the LAHS-XC Handbook for complete details on all team policies.
Rules of the Road
Following the Rules of the RoadThe following rules are required. They exist for your safety. Not following them repeatedly can be grounds for dismissal from the team or lose in one letter grade.
- Always run with a buddy - at least one other person. If somebody in your group falls behind, someone in your group must wait for them until you get to Mt. Hamilton return route.
- All runners must be back from runs by 5:45pm. Workout officially ends at 6pm. If you stay longer, that is up to you and your parents.
- All runners must return to the LAHS track after their runs and check in with a coach. We need to know you are back and there is important post-run cooldown and stretching you must do. This part of the workout is part of your attendance and grade!
- Obey all traffic rules. Tip: Don’t trust the flashing light crosswalks on San Antonio. Just because the lights are flashing doesn’t mean cars will see you and stop!
- We expect that Cross Country is your highest priority extra-curricular activity. Of course academics comes first, but cross country should be next. If you have another after school activity that is a higher priority than cross country and it will conflict with practices or meets, you should rethink your interest in cross country.
- Be on time! Practices will start at 4:00pm this year and end at 6pm. If you know you are going to be late unexpectedly, notify the coaches before hand.
- 3 unexcused absences will result in a lower grade and is grounds for dismissal from the team. Athletes or parents should make a best effort to email the coaching staff of absences *before* they occur.
- 2 missed meets for non-injury/illness reasons is grounds for dismissal from the team. Runners are expected to be at all meets for which they are eligible. The tentative schedule is posted early in the summer so please work around the meet dates for SAT/ACT testing and vacations.
- While injured or sick, if you’re able to come to school, you still must come to practice. We won’t make you do anything unsafe, but we need to check on your progress. We can also give you workouts on the bike or in the pool if appropriate and often, you can still participate in core and strength routines. You may not leave early. If you have a doctor or physical therapist, have your parent notify us before hand just like any excused absence. Try to schedule these around practice times.
- Runners must run in an official LAHS uniform. You may swap out the shorts with identically colored Royal Blue running shorts if you prefer.
- All athletes are expected to ride the bus unless other arrangements have been made prior to the meet. A coach will take role before the bus leaves
- Athletes may NOT drive themselves or with any other student.
- A parent driver may NOT take home any other runner, unless they're on file with the LAHS District. The volunteer parent driver form can be found here: http://www.mvla.net/view/639.pdf
- If you need to take your runner home earlier, please sign them out with a coach at the end of their warm down. A coach needs to see the parent at sign-out. This may sound silly, but it is a safety issue that wouldn't seem so silly if your child was involved in a situation.
- Be respectful and courteous to everyone - especially other teams, runners, officials and coaches.
- Cheer on your teammates in other races!